The Good Life
Gems of wisdom and practical advice for living the good, noble and honourable life. Highly influenced by stoic philosophies.
- Meditations – Marcus Aurelius
- On the Shortness of Life – Seneca
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos – Jordan B. Peterson
- Skin in the Game: The Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
I love non-fiction, in an ideal world, I’d be reading them all day every day. Here are my favourites. All sorts of idea to itch your brain with.
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind – Yuval Noah Harari
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success – Carol S. Dweck
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow – Yuval Noah Harari
- Outliers: The Story of Success – Malcolm Gladwell
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think – Hans Rosling
PhD’s for Dummies
Getting knowledge right from the masters in their fields. Tenured professors, public intellectuals, decades of research, Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners and the Intellectual Dark Web. People who devote their working lives to understanding their chosen slice of the world.
- Guns, Germs and Steel: The Fates Human Societies – Jared Diamond
- The Universe in a Nutshell – Stephen Hawking
- Astrophysics for People in a Hurry – Neil deGrasse Tyson
- The Dictator’s Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics – Bruce Bueno De Mesquita
- Scale: The Universal Laws of Growth, Innovation, Sustainability, and the Pace of Life in Organisms, Cities, Economies, and Companies – Geoffrey West
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder – Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Reading books about people I love, those who’ve changed the game, those special humans who did more than their fair share to understand the world, inspire those in it and make it a better place. There
- Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood – Trevor Noah
- Steve Jobs – Walter Isaacson
- The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon – Brad Stone
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration- Ed Catmull
This is the new genre that’s slowly growing on me. With a rich history and the most imaginative authors ever filling its shelves, I’m really eager to read more here.
- The Humans: A Novel – Matt Haig
We all read it, no one admits it. Mark Manson is the with self-help that works and most importantly doesn’t suck.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving
a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life – Mark Manson
- Models – Mark Manson
An increasing number of men are feeling isolated and emasculated in society than demonizes and actively feminizes masculinity. From “the crisis of masculinity” to the idea of a domineering “patriarchy,” these men discuss what it means to be a man today.
- The Rational Male – Rollo Tomassi
- The Rational Male – Preventive Medicine – Rollo Tomassi
- No More Mr. Nice Guy – Robert A. Glover
- The Way of Men – Jack Donovan
The title means “remember (that) you will die”. Here are stories of tragedy and renewed hope as in their grief and impending mortality we learn what it really means to be alive.
- Meditations – Marcus Aurelius
- Tuesdays with Morrie: An old man, a young man and life’s greatest lesson – Mitch Albom
- When Breathe Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi
I’ve read my fair share of relationship books and they all seemed a bit too corny. Waded through the love languages but it wasn’t what I was looking for.
- Enlightened Sex: Finding Freedom & Fullness Through Sexual Union – David Deida